Michael B. Mann, Ph.D.
Department of Molecular Oncology & Cancer Biology and Evolution Program
Department of Cutaneous Oncology & Donald A. Adam Melanoma and Skin Cancer Center of Excellence for Projects in Non-Melanoma Skin Cancer
H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center
Courtesy Assistant Professor
Department of Cell Biology, Microbiology and Molecular Biology
University of South Florida
Office: Stabile Research Building (SRB) 3rd floor, room 23011
Courtesy of Nicholas Gould
Doctor of Philosophy in Genetics. Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA. 2000 – 2005.
Master of Science in Biological Sciences. California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, Pomona, CA, USA. 1999 – 2000.
Bachelor of Science in Biology. California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, Pomona, CA, USA. 1995 – 1998.
Houston Methodist Research Institute, Houston, TX, USA. Senior Research Associate, Cancer Research Program. Neal G. Copeland, PhD and Nancy A. Jenkins, PhD Laboratory. 2011 – 2016.
Institute of Molecular & Cell Biology, Republic of Singapore. Post-doctoral Research Associate, Mammalian Genetic Laboratory. Neal G. Copeland, PhD and Nancy A. Jenkins, PhD Laboratory. 2008 – 2011.
Institute of Molecular & Cell Biology, Republic of Singapore. Post-doctoral Research Fellow, Mammalian Genetic Laboratory. Neal G. Copeland, PhD and Nancy A. Jenkins, PhD Laboratory. 2006 – 2008.
National Cancer Institute - Frederick, Frederick, MD, USA. Cancer Research Training Award Fellow, Mouse Cancer Genetics Program. Neal G. Copeland, PhD and Nancy A. Jenkins, PhD Laboratory. 2005 – 2006.
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS, ACTIVITIES, AWARDS AND HONORS
Active Member, American Association of Cancer Research, since 2003.
Member, The Society for Melanoma Research, since 2017.
Member, Genetics Society of America, since 2017.
Member, Society for Investigative Dermatology, since 2017.
Keynote “Harnessing Genomics for Future Cancer Care” by an American Cancer Society Funded Moffitt Researcher at The New Wave of Cancer Research and Treatment Luncheon hosted by the American Cancer Society, Nov 2019.
Early Career Reviewer (ECR) for MONC Study Section Review at the Center for Scientific Review, National Institutes of Health. February 2019.
Moffitt Skin Cancer SPORE Career Enhancement Program Award. August 2017.
Houston Methodist Institute for Academic Medicine Award for Excellence in Peer Reviewed Publication, Apr 2016.
Selected participant at the 24th Annual Short Course on Experimental Models of Human Cancer at The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, ME, Aug 2015.
AACR-Millennium Scholar-in-Training Award Recipient in recognition of promising cancer research and the submission of a meritorious proffered paper selected for presentation at the AACR Annual Meeting, Apr 2013.
NCI Cancer Research Training Award (CRTA) Fellow in the Mouse Cancer Genetics Program at theNational Cancer Institute-Frederick. Sept 2005 – Sept 2006.
NIH Predoctoral Fellowship in Genetics, Department of Genetics, 2003 – 2004.
NIH Predoctoral Fellowship in Human Genetics, Department of Genetics, CWRU, 2002 – 2003.
Course Director for Moffitt/USF Cancer Biology PhD Program course: PCB 9631: Advances in Cancer Biology Research, Spring semester, since 2020.
Faculty facilitator for Moffitt/USF Cancer Biology PhD Program course: PCB6932: Bioethics for Cancer Researchers, Since 2018.
Faculty lecturer for Moffitt/USF Cancer Biology PhD Program course: PCB 6205: Cancer Biology III - Cancer Genomics and Drug Discovery, Since 2018.
Houston Methodist Research Institute, Houston, TX, USA. CME Faculty for the Houston Methodist Cancer Center Symposium. 2014-2015.
Institute of Molecular & Cell Biology, Republic of Singapore. Lecturer for Student Outreach 2007 (STUDOR) section on Mammalian Genetics. 2007.
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, CA, USA. Graduate Teaching Associate, Biology of Cancer, Genetics Laboratory, and Biology Laboratory, Department of Biological Sciences. Jan 1999 – 2000.
SELECTED ORAL PRESENTATIONS
Mann MB. Harnessing Transposon Mutagenesis for Melanoma Research. Society for Melanoma Research 2015 International Congress, San Francisco, CA, USA, 18–21 Nov 2015.
Mann MB. Cooperating Oncogenic Drivers in a Preclinical Myeloid Leukemia Model. Houston Methodist Cancer Symposium, Houston, Texas, USA, 19 Jun 2015.
Mann MB. Leukemogenic Pathway Discovery using Sleeping Beauty Mutagenesis. Houston Methodist Cancer Symposium, Houston, Texas, USA, 14 Apr 2014.
Mann MB, Adams DA, Copeland NG and Jenkins NA. Melanoma Gene Discovery: Genomic and Genetic Approaches. 10th Annual Otago Genomics Facility Meeting, University of Otago, Department of Biochemistry Seminar Series, Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand, 18 Feb 2011.
Mann MB, Copeland NG and Jenkins NA. Harnessing Transposons for Cancer Gene Discovery. Emerging Mutagenesis Strategies Symposium at the ComBio2008 meeting, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia, 21–25 Sept 2008.
Contreras-Sandoval AM and Mann MB. "Harnessing Sleeping Beauty transposon mutagenesis to model tumor heterogeneity in melanoma preclinical models". Society for Melanoma Research 16th International Congress, Salt Lake City, UT. doi:10.1111/pcmr.12834.
Newberg JY, Mann KM, Mann MB. Prioritizing cancer gene drivers defined in large-scale cancer genome analyses using the SBCDDB. AACR Annual Meeting 2018. American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting in Chicago, Illinois, USA, 2018 Apr 14–18 (Poster Presentation). Abstract Number: 18-A–6401-AACR. doi:10.1158/1538-7445.AM2018-2356.
Newberg JY, Jenkins NA, Copeland NG, Mann KM, Mann MB. An integrative oncogenomic analysis tool for defining driver genes in Sleeping Beauty mouse models of human cancer. 2017 Cancer Biology & Evolution Symposium, Moffitt Cancer Center. Tampa, Florida, USA, 12 Jun 2017 (Poster presentation).
Newberg JY, Jenkins NA, Copeland NG, Mann KM, Mann MB. An integrative oncogenomic analysis tool for defining driver genes in Sleeping Beauty mouse models of human cancer. 2017 Moffitt Scientific Symposium, Moffitt Cancer Center. Tampa, Florida, USA, 4 May 2017 (Poster presentation).
Mann MB, Mann KM, Newberg JY, Black MA, Jenkins NA, and Copeland NG. Cooperating Oncogenic Myeloid Leukemia Drivers Revealed By Single Cell Genome Sequencing. 24th Annual Short Course On Experimental Models Of Human Cancer, The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, ME, 2015 Aug 15–22.
Mann KM , Newberg JY, Navin NE, Adams DA, Jenkins NA, Copeland NG, and Mann MB. Sleeping Beauty uncovers cooperating driver genes in a preclinical mouse model of myeloid leukemia. American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting in Philadelphia, PA, 2015 Apr 20 (Oral Presentation), [abstract]. In: Proceedings of the 106th Annual Meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research; 2015 Apr 18–22; Philadelphia, PA. Philadelphia (PA): AACR; Cancer Res 2015;75(15 Suppl):Abstract nr 2893. doi:10.1158/1538–7445.AM2015–2893
Mann MB, Black MA, Ward JM, Bosenberg MW, McMahon MA, Print CG, Adams DJ, Copeland NG and Jenkins NA. Sleeping Beauty mutagenesis identifies genes and pathways that cooperate with BrafV600E in melanoma initiation and progression. Genome-Based Discovery in Human Cancer Minisymposium at the American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting in Washington D.C., Apr 2013 (Oral presentation). [abstract]. In: Proceedings of the 104thAnnual Meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research; 2013 Apr 6–10; Washington, DC. Philadelphia (PA): AACR; Cancer Res 2013;73(8 Suppl):Abstract number 1116. doi: 10.1158/1538–7445.AM2013–1116
See full listing in PAPERS tab.
- Aziz Aiderus, Justin Y. Newberg, Liliana Guzman-Rojas, Ana M. Contreras-Sandoval, Amanda L. Meshey, Devin J. Jones, Felipe Amaya-Manzanares, Roberto Rangel, Jerrold M. Ward, Song-Choon Lee, Kenneth Hon-Kim Ban, Keith Rogers, Susan M. Rogers, Luxmanan Selvanesan, Leslie A. McNoe, Neal G. Copeland, Nancy A. Jenkins, Kenneth Y. Tsai, Michael A. Black, Karen M. Mann, Michael B. Mann*. Transposon mutagenesis identifies cooperating genetic drivers during keratinocyte transformation and cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma progression PLoS Genet 17(8): e1009094. at https://journals.plos.org/plosgenetics/article?id=10.1371/journal.pgen.1009094. Published online before print August 16, 2021. doi: 10.1371/journal.pgen.1009094. Open Access Manuscript: PDF. *corresponding author
- Aziz Aiderus, Ana M. Contreras-Sandoval, Amanda L. Meshey, Justin Y. Newberg, Jerrold M. Ward, Deborah Swing, Neal G. Copeland, Nancy A. Jenkins, Karen M. Mann, and Michael B. Mann*. Promoterless Transposon Mutagenesis Drives Solid Cancers via Tumor Suppressor Inactivation. Cancers 2021, 13(2), 225; doe: 10.3390/cancers13020225. Open Access Manuscript: PDF. *corresponding author
- Newberg JY, Black MA, Jenkins NA, Copeland NG, Mann KM, and Mann MB*. SB Driver Analysis: A Sleeping Beautycancer driver analysis framework for identifying and prioritizing experimentally actionable oncogenes and tumor suppressors. Nucleic Acids Research.Volume 46, Issue 16, 19 September 2018, Pages e94. Published online before print May 26, 2018. doi:1093/nar/gky450. Open Access Manuscript: PDF *corresponding author
- Newberg JY, Mann KM, Mann MB, Jenkins NA, and Copeland NG. SBCDDB: Sleeping BeautyCancer Driver Database for gene discovery in mouse models of human cancers. Volume 46, Issue D1, 4 January 2018, Pages D1011–D1017. Nucleic Acids Research. 2017. Published online before print October 20, 2017 doi:1093/nar/gkx956. Open Access Manuscript: PDF
- Mann KM, Newberg JY, Black MA, Jones DJ, Amaya-Manzanares F, Guzman-Rojas L, Kodama T, Ward J, Rust AG, van der Weyden L, Chin KY, Waters J, Leung ML, Rogers K, Rogers SM, McNoe L, Selvanesan L, Navin N, Jenkins NA, Copeland NG, and Mann MB*. Analyzing tumor heterogeneity and driver genes in single myeloid leukemia cells using SBCapSeq.Nature Biotechnology. 2016, 34(9):962–972. Published online before print August 1, 2016 doi:10.1038/nbt.3637. Open Access Manuscript: PMC PDF *corresponding author
- Mann MB, Black MA, Jones DJ, Ward J, Chin KY, Newberg JY, Dupuy AJ, Rust AG, Bosenberg MW, McMahon M, Print CG, Copeland NG, and Jenkins NA. Transposon mutagenesis identifies genetic drivers of BrafV600ENature Genetics. 2015, 47(5):486–495. Published online before print April 13, 2015 doi:10.1038/ng.3275. Open Access Manuscript: PMC PDF
- Suman Govindaraju, Michelle Maurin, Justin Y. Newberg, Devin J. Jones, Hubert Lee, Judit E. Markovitz, Michael B. Mann, Michael A. Black, and Karen M. Mann. Insertional mutagenesis defines drivers and evolutionary relationships in pancreatic cancer metastasis. bioRxiv 2020.09.28.317701; bioR𝛘iv. doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.09.28.317701. Open Access Preprint: PDF.
- Mann KM, Guzman-Rojas L, Amaya-Manzanares F, Jones DJ, Newberg JY, Jenkins NA, Copeland NG, and Mann MB*. SBCapSeq Protocol: a method for selective cloning of Sleeping Beautytransposon insertions using liquid capture hybridization and Ion Torrent semiconductor sequencing. Protocol Exchange. 2016. doi:10.1038/protex.2016.053. Open Access Manuscript: PDF-v1 Published online August 3, 2016 at Protocol Exchange. *corresponding author